2013-2014 Notre Dame Writing Supplement
You must submit the Notre Dame Writing Supplement in addition to the Common Application’s First Year Application; this form is available to registered members of the Common Application and must be completed online. The Writing Supplement is submitted separately after the application.
The Writing Supplement for First Year applicants seeking Fall 2014 enrollment will include the following directions:
Please select three of the following five prompts and provide a response of approximately 150 words to each. Your responses will be read by Notre Dame admissions staff as we seek to learn more about you. We encourage you to use personal examples, anecdotes, or anything that helps differentiate you from your peers.
- In his 2005 inaugural address, Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., president of the University of Notre Dame, challenged our community: “We at Notre Dame must have the courage to be who we are. If we are afraid to be different from the world, how can we make a difference in the world?” When you leave Notre Dame, what is one way you will bravely face the world, stay true to your values, and make a difference large or small?
- What is your proudest accomplishment that doesn’t appear on your résumé — an act for which you did not receive a trophy, grade, or other type of outward recognition?
- Tell us about a time you fell in love… with an academic concept. What excited you about this idea, project, or lesson?
- Why are you interested in attending the University of Notre Dame?
- By the end of the college application process, you will have probably written dozens of essays and responded to a multitude of questions. Use this opportunity to try something new.
You should submit the online version of the Common Application’s First Year Application and the Notre Dame Writing Supplement no later than November 1 for Early Action or January 1 for Regular Action. We will not review your application documents (e.g. transcripts, teacher evaluations, etc.) until we receive these two documents and the required payment or the confirmed fee waiver.