2013-2014 Columbia Writing Supplement (will be posted on Common App in mid-August)
From Columbia Admissions Website:
In addition to the Common Application, applicants are asked to respond to Columbia-specific questions to tell the Admissions Committee more about their academic, extracurricular and intellectual interests. We review the responses to these questions very carefully in order get a full sense of the unique individual beyond their transcripts and test scores.
The 2013-2014 Columbia Writing Supplement will be available through the Common Application in mid-August. In the meantime, you are welcome to begin composing answers to the following questions:
Please list the following (150 words or less for each question):
- the required readings from courses during the school year or summer that you enjoyed most in the past year;
- the books read for pleasure that you enjoyed most in the past year;
- the print or electronic publications you read regularly;
- and the films, concerts, shows, exhibits, lectures and other entertainments you enjoyed most in the past year.
Please answer the following short answer questions (300 word or less for each question):
- Briefly describe which single activity/interest listed in your Common Application represents your most meaningful commitment and why.
- Tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events.
- Tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.
- For applicants to Columbia College, tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. If you are currently undecided, please write about any field or fields in which you may have an interest at this time.
- For applicants to The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, tell us from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) what attracts you specifically to the study of engineering.