2013-2014 University of Virginia Writing Supplement
UVA Freshmen 2013-2014 Application Essay Questions
- College of Arts & Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?
- Engineering: If you were given funding for a small engineering project, what would you do?
- Architecture: Students in the school of architecture study the physical design of the environment in which we live, including cities, landscapes, and buildings. That environment has a profound effect on the way that people and societies interact and develop. Describe how a particular physical place has influenced your growth as a person.
- Nursing: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the School of Nursing.
- Kinesiology: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the kinesiology major.
- What is your favorite word and why?
- The Honor Code at U.Va. states that students will not lie, cheat, or steal. This strengthens our Community of Trust. What would you add to the Honor Code and why?
- In 2006, graduate student Robert Stilling discovered an unpublished poem by Robert Frost while doing research in U.Va.’s Small Collections Library. Where will your Stilling moment be in college?
- We are a community with quirks, both in language (we’ll welcome you to Grounds, not campus) and in traditions. Describe one of your quirks and why it is part of who you are.
- To tweet or not to tweet?
Your essay application is fantastic. I immediately bought it when you mentioned it at your presentation at NACAC last year and think it’s one of the most amazing tools for my students and for me when working with students. It’s just the best! – Ellen / Independent Educational Consultant